This is a ritual that was used to summon The Midnight Man, a creature of great evil, to punish those who broke the laws and rules. It has evolved over time but the basics remain the same.
You will need the following things to prepare the ritual: paper, pencil, needle, white candle, a box of matches, a wooden door and sea salt.
- Turn off all the lights.
- Light the candle with a single match
- Write your given name on the paper, first, middle, and last
- Prick your finger with the needle and add a drop of blood on the paper, allow it to soak in
- Place the paper with your name on the floor in front of the door.
- Knock on the door 22 times with the ticking of the clock, the 22nd knock MUST occur at 12am.
- Open your door, blow out the candle, and close it. You have now summoned the Midnight Man
- Immediately relight your candle to keep the darkness at bay.
This is when the real fun begins. Your goal is to avoid the midnight man at all costs. You may move through the house to avoid him. You can tell if he is near; your candle will go out, it will get chilly, you’ll hear a low whisper, and he will appear in front of you. You must relight the candle within 10 seconds or don’t bother, the Midnight Man is near. Your only hope is to throw down a circle of salt around yourself and stay inside the circle from 12:01am to 3:33am.
Those who survive till 3:33am, you will be released, according to legend. If not, the Midnight Man will torture your mortal body and then absorb your immortal soul.
This is often used as a “truth or dare” sort of game. Don’t. I played and only lived to tell the tale because I know more than most kids. I got to listen to several good friends scream and die. I don’t recommend it as a recreational past-time.