Okay. First, the Affordable Care Act and ObamaCare are the same thing. #Truth. They really are the same thing. Certain politicians, when badmouthing it, call it ObamaCare but call it the ACA when they have something good to say.
It’s political bullshit. It’s the same thing.
Second, for some reason Congress doesn’t want you to know that your insurance includes a shitload of basic services you’re probably paying through the nose for without. Here’s a partial list direct from the ACA:
These essential health benefits include at least the following items and services:
- Outpatient care—the kind you get without being admitted to a hospital
- Trips to the emergency room
- Treatment in the hospital for inpatient care
- Care before and after your baby is born
- Mental health and substance use disorder services: This includes behavioral health treatment, counseling, and psychotherapy
- Your prescription drugs
- Services and devices to help you recover if you are injured, or have a disability or chronic condition. This includes physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, psychiatric rehabilitation, and more.
- Your lab tests
- Preventive services including counseling, screenings, and vaccines to keep you healthy and care for managing a chronic disease.
- Pediatric services: This includes dental care and vision care for kids
Know what else? You don’t have to have insurance and you will not be “fined” if you can’t afford it. If you can afford the insurance and choose not to have it you will be taxed. Your tax money doesn’t go to the ACA. No one seems to know what happens to it. Ask the politicians that insisted you be taxed. But seriously, if you can afford it, unless you are a single man who never gets sick and has no children, why the hell wouldn’t you? It costs me less to have insurance than it did for yearly medical services, including pap smear, birth control and mammogram.
But if you can’t afford it you can get a waiver, just like you can for all sorts of crap on your taxes. All you have to do is apply. You may also be entitled to FREE HEALTHCARE through your state, assuming your state legislature jumped on the bandwagon.
Don’t bash something before you actually look it up.